Saturday, June 25, 2011

Ah, wonderful Los Angeles Airport

And here we were thinking that service and politeness was a concept!  I forgot how rude people can be in service roles.  Mind you, most of the people at the Airport were nice, but it only takes one or two to spoil the broth.

Auckland Airport was absolutely dead, with Qantas, Jetstar not flying.  Uneventful (thank goodness) flight, normal Air NZ. When we got to LAX, interminable queues, but I got to do the  most exciting thing I've ever done at LAX.  United wouldn't check our bikes through to the domestic flight so we had to take them over to United on the trolley.

There was only one trolley, and Peter was pushing it and we came across a group of US soldiers returning to base in Hawaii and they had more than one trolley each. So I got to push a trolley full of US rifles and firearms (in their black plastic containers with huge padlocks on them) across LAX. I didn't think my level of fitness and age would mean that anyone would mistake me for a soldier.  But then, as we waited in another queue to get our bikes on the plane, we were behind another group of military people (we know, cause the check in sign said 'military' - clever eh?). And looking at couple of those guys and their HUGE stomachs, way bigger than anyone we know, and they were old (well they looked old), I figure I could pass for a 'mature' soldier.

I think the holiday is working already, it's not even been 24 hours, but already I'm thinking of things other than work!  Mind you my dream of being in an architectural design competition to design a forecourt for a service station might mean that my subsconscious thinks a new career is an option!

We've got another 8 hours at LAX, Peter is already asleep, then another 24 hours from now till we actually stop travelling!

Thinking of you all - but happy to say, not missing NZ or work!

No comments:

Post a Comment